Acupuncture for Knee Pain (Gold Coast)
Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
[Evidence: Positive Effect]
Knee osteoarthritis pain was not reviewed in the Australian DVA review (2010) and rated as ‘evidence of potential positive effect’ in the USVA Evidence map of acupuncture (2014) (5, 6). In a network meta-analysis comparing 22 interventions in 152 studies, acupuncture was found to be equal to balneotherapy and superior to sham acupuncture, muscle-strengthening exercise, Tai Chi, weight loss, standard care and aerobic exercise (in ranked order) (52). Acupuncture was also superior to standard care and muscle-strengthening exercises in a sub-analysis of moderate to high quality studies (52). In a systematic review of 12 randomised controlled trials, acupuncture was found to significantly reduce pain intensity, to improve functional mobility and quality of life (53). Subgroup analysis showed greater reduction in pain intensity when treatment lasted for more than four weeks (53). The reviewers concluded that ‘current evidence supports the use of acupuncture as an alternative for traditional analgesics in patients with osteoarthritis’ (53).
[Evidence: Positive Effect]
For post-operative pain, acupuncture was not reviewed in the Australian DVA review (2010) and was rated as ‘unclear’ in the USVA Evidence map of acupuncture 2014 (5, 6). A systematic review and meta-analysis of 13 RCTs in 2016, found that acupuncture, electroacupuncture (EA) and transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation (TEAS) improved pain on day one after surgery and reduced opioid use (17). Subgroup analysis showed that acupuncture and TEAS were superior to EA (17). A systematic review on complementary therapies for pain after knee surgery included three RCTs on acupuncture and one on acupressure (58). The review found that acupressure reduced pain, and while acupuncture did not reduce pain it did reduce ibuprofen use (58). An RCT on acupuncture for pain after total knee arthroplasty found that acupuncture was superior to sham in post-operative fentanyl use, time to first request for fentanyl and pain intensity (59).
Allied Acupuncture Gold Coast Address
7a/2 Executive Drive, Burleigh Waters QLD 4220
Allied Acupuncture Gold Coast is located near Treetops Shopping Plaza, 5 minutes from the M1, just off Bermuda Street.
It is your local clinic for Varsity Lakes, Reedy Creek, Bonogin and Burleigh Waters.
Commute to work? Get a treatment on the way home while the traffic dies down.
McDonald J, Janz S. The Acupuncture Evidence Project: A Comparative Literature Review (Revised Edition)
5. Biotext. Alternative therapies and Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold and White Card arrangements. In: Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs, editor: Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs; 2010.
6. Hempel S, Taylor SL, Solloway MR, Miake-Lye IM, Beroes JM, Shanman R, et al. VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program Reports. Evidence Map of Acupuncture. Washington (DC): Department of Veterans Affairs; 2014.
17. Wu MS, Chen KH, Chen IF, Huang SK, Tzeng PC, Yeh ML, et al. The Efficacy of Acupuncture in Post-Operative Pain Management: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLOS ONE. 2016;11(3):e0150367.
52. Corbett MS, Rice SJ, Madurasinghe V, Slack R, Fayter DA, Harden M, et al. Acupuncture and other physical treatments for the relief of pain due to osteoarthritis of the knee: network meta-analysis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2013 Sep;21(9):1290-8.
53. Manyanga T, Froese M, Zarychanski R, Abou-Setta A, Friesen C, Tennenhouse M, et al. Pain management with acupuncture in osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014;14:312.
58. Barlow T, Downham C, Barlow D. The effect of complementary therapies on post-operative pain control in ambulatory knee surgery: a systematic review. Complement Ther Med. 2013 Oct;21(5):529-34.
59. Chen CC, Yang CC, Hu CC, Shih HN, Chang YH, Hsieh PH. Acupuncture for pain relief after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized controlled trial. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2015 Jan-Feb;40(1):31-6.