Acupuncture for Allergic Rhinitis (Gold Coast)
Allergic Rhinitis (Seasonal and Perennial/Persistent)
[Evidence: Positive Effect; Cost Effective]
For allergic rhinitis, acupuncture was rated as ‘effective’ in the Australian DVA review (2010) and ‘unclear’ in the USVA Evidence map of acupuncture (2014) (5, 6). A systematic review of 13 randomised controlled trials concluded that ‘acupuncture could be a safe and valid treatment option for allergic rhinitis’ (moderate quality evidence) (54). Another systematic review (which included two large multi-centre randomised controlled trials, three comparisons of acupuncture versus medication and one cost-effectiveness study) concluded that there is high quality evidence of the efficacy and effectiveness of acupuncture and that it appears to be safe and cost-effective (15,76). Clinical practice guidelines for allergic rhinitis published by the Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery Foundation in 2015 included acupuncture as Option five: ‘Clinicians may offer acupuncture, or refer to a clinician who can offer acupuncture, for patients with AR who are interested in nonpharmacological therapy’ (Aggregate evidence quality - Grade B) (37).
Allied Acupuncture Gold Coast Address
7a/2 Executive Drive, Burleigh Waters QLD 4220
Allied Acupuncture Gold Coast is located near Treetops Shopping Plaza, 5 minutes from the M1, just off Bermuda Street.
It is your local clinic for Varsity Lakes, Reedy Creek, Bonogin and Burleigh Waters.
Commute to work? Get a treatment on the way home while the traffic dies down.
McDonald J, Janz S. The Acupuncture Evidence Project: A Comparative Literature Review (Revised Edition)
5. Biotext. Alternative therapies and Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold and White Card arrangements. In: Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs, editor: Australian Government Department of Veterans' Affairs; 2010.
6. Hempel S, Taylor SL, Solloway MR, Miake-Lye IM, Beroes JM, Shanman R, et al. VA Evidence-based Synthesis Program Reports. Evidence Map of Acupuncture. Washington (DC): Department of Veterans Affairs; 2014.
15. Taw MB, Reddy WD, Omole FS, Seidman MD. Acupuncture and allergic rhinitis. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Jun;23(3):216-20.
37. Seidman MD, Gurgel RK, Lin SY, Schwartz SR, Baroody FM, Bonner JR, et al. Clinical practice guideline: Allergic rhinitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Feb;152(1 Suppl):S1-43.
54. Feng S, Han M, Fan Y, Yang G, Liao Z, Liao W, et al. Acupuncture for the treatment of allergic rhinitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2015 Jan-Feb;29(1):57-62.